Treats for chickens

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by 1Cluckygirl, Feb 26, 2015.

1. 1Cluckygirl

1Cluckygirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2015
    Any feedback would be great. I heard recently from someone who says they give spoiled milk or yogurt and other foods that have gone "bad" to their chickens. Just the thought of feeding my girls something I won't eat myself makes me cringe. What do you guys say?

2. sarnold1

sarnold1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    That sounds nasty. I would never feed my family spoiled anything so why would I feed it to my chickens? Just ew.

3. 1Cluckygirl

Jan 4, 2015
    My thoughts exactly.

4. sarnold1

Feb 12, 2015
    But I do know a few things that you can give them! I'll post in a bit:)

1 person likes this.
  5. Honey B

Honey B Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2015
    Georgia
    The girls get quality food/treats in order to produce the best eggs possible. Happy healthy chickens = happy healthy family. In all honesty I am unsure about how resilient a chickens digestive system is compared to ours but I would rather error on the safe side.

6. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    Don׳t forget that you are dealing whit chickens! And they are different from people they can eat a lot of things that you don׳t eat!(bugs,wormes,etc.) so I think that they can eat a lot of strange things as long as they are not infected with mold!

1 person likes this.
  7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012

Now, now. If you wouldn't slurp down a raw live shake head first while it is still wiggling like it was spaghetti, or eat a mouse like you would a raw oyster, then perhaps chickens are not your cup of tea.

Chickens will eat all these things and many more wee critters like they are good. And if you happen to be a chicken they are good, they truly are.

8. sarnold1

Feb 12, 2015
    Well, fyi, I like my chickens more than most people. Lol, I'm kidding. I don't know, I might feed it to them but it just seems nasty to me. Y'all do what you want tho!

9. 1Cluckygirl

Jan 4, 2015
    Haha! You're right, I wouldn't eat bugs! Yuck! But as far as feeding them table scraps, I don't want to give them anything spoiled.

10. sarnold1

Feb 12, 2015
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by