Treats for chicks and Brooder Temperature...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BenAnnaMama, Mar 27, 2011.

1. BenAnnaMama

BenAnnaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    My six day old babies are begging me for treats! Ok, not really, but I am dying to spoil them! With my "real" babies I waited FOREVER to feed them solid food to make sure their bellies could handle it... Should I follow these same rules with my birdy babies too? I heard they like boiled eggs, yogurt, etc. but I'm not sure if it is wise to give them some. Also, if I do introduce treats to their diet, do I need to introduce grit as well? Right now they are on an organic chick starter... I think it is Nutrena... What is the deal with grit?

And they are living in a XL dog kennel under a heat lamp. The temp is consistently about 78 degrees. That seems cold but they seem happy! They scratch around, run around, eat, drink, cuddle at nap time. Should I assume they are at the right temperature? They are inside and my home is about 70 degrees inside with the occasional draft when the back door is opened.

Thanks for your help![​IMG]

2. Lawnman127

Lawnman127 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    the temp should be 95 for the 1st week and 5 deg less each week.
    That being said, if they are not staying huddled around,(they are not cuddling they are trying to get warm) then
    they are ok. Sounds like they need more heat, move the lamp closer or get a warmer bulb.

Grit is what grinds there food, they don't have teeth to do this with.
    Starter food has some grit so no need to add, if you feed other treats you need to have grit available.
    You can buy grit if you want but most just get a bad of contractor sand and have plenty for a long time.
    Just put a bowl in with them, they will eat it if they need to.

3. BenAnnaMama

Mar 25, 2011
    Thanks for the info... I'm still not sure if feeding them treats are the right thing to do...

4. chicklovers

chicklovers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    stick to the starter feed for a while! I agree they need a little more heat as well.

5. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    Quote:X2

6. BenAnnaMama

Mar 25, 2011
    OK, thanks again... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by