Treats for chicks and poop question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TubbyChicken, Nov 9, 2008.

1. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    My chicks are about 1 week and thriving so far...

I haven't found anything concerning until today...I noticed a small pile of liquid poo, smaller than a dime and dark brown. Some of the other chicks are having mildly foamy poo and others are well formed. Does this sound normal or like something to be concerned about? They're eating chick food (20% protein). The heat is set at 99.5 and they have access to a 32 oz. rabbit waterer that they are using with ease. They all seem healthy and active.

My other question is about treats...Is there anything I can give them such as bananas, apples, or other fruits and vegetables that wouldn't compromise their nutrition?

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I've only raised one batch, but my understanding is that one should keep them on medicated starter formula exclusively so as to minimize chances of cocci.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hey Tubby!
    What you described as brown, runny poo is cecal poo and it's normal. Happens every 5 to 6 stools, if I remember correctly.
    Is your chick feed medicated?
    Also, if your chicks are a week old it's time to lower the temp. a little. Remember 90 - 95 the first week, decreasing by 5 degrees each week.
    Also, at a week the only treat I would give if they were mine would be plain, low fat yogurt. You can mix some of their chick starter in with it to give them the idea that it's okay to eat. Chicks tend to be afraid of new things, even food. Or you could offer them some chopped hard boiled eggs.
    Keep the amount of treats small for now. You want them to have the complete nutrition of their chick starter first, like you said.
    Remember when you start adding other treats, besides the yogurt, you'll need to offer them some grit to help digest it.

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Many here will tell you no medication unless they are sick. The brown runny poo is normal. Every so many poos will be like that. It is called a cecal poo.

As far as treats go, give them very little. Also they should have access to grit if they get any. Those things sound good for chicks that are a little older. At theat age more appropriate treats are scrambled eggs, pasta, or yogurt mixed into a mash with their chick food.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:The idea about not giving medicine is usually referring to antibiotics, like terramycin when it may not be necessary.
    Medicated chick starter helps prevent coccidia, which is a parasite, not a disease. Coccidia can kill a chick quickly and IMO, medicated chick starter is the first step in prevention.

6. auracana07

auracana07 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    I personally wouldn't get worked up about it, my chicken sometimes have the runs too. If you are really worried about it though i think there is diarreha medicine you can give to them.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by