Treats for chicks! And taming

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lovesanimals101, Mar 30, 2016.

1. lovesanimals101

lovesanimals101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2015
    Hi! I was wondering is there any treats to give to chicks? And what are ways to tame chicks?

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    mealworms work great for getting not so friendly chicks to become your best friends, you do need to have them on a chick grit prior to feeding them and don't over do it, it's easy to get carried away and feed them too many because they are so much fun to watch when they grab them and run wild trying to find a secluded spot to eat with every other chick chasing!!!

3. jessivogel

jessivogel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    Palisade, NE
    Mine love grapes (cut into small pieces). This applies to the babies and adults alike!! They like canned corn, too. I always put the treat in my hand(s) and make them come to me to get it. For the adults that aren't tame- I toss a couple in front of me so they can get a good taste of it- then make them take it out of my hand.

4. lovesanimals101

Jun 19, 2015
    Are dry mealworms ok? And How long do chicks have to be kept under a heat lamp?

5. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    yes they are fine but again in moderation, they are high in fat content so don't over do it with them.

they need heat till they are fully feathered and/or acclimated to the current ambient temp. most chicks are feathered by 4-5 weeks of age and at that time they should be acclimated to around 70° they can then be fairly quickly adjusted to meet the normal temps of their environment as long as it's not an extreme temp change.

6. lovesanimals101

Jun 19, 2015
    Also I've been reading thing about plain Greek yogurt ? Any one have opinions on that?

7. jessivogel

jessivogel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    Palisade, NE

Just stand back :)

8. gaitanm24

gaitanm24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2016
    Killeen, Texas

I regularly feed plain unsweetened yogurt. They go nuts over it! Watch out! So funny to watch!

9. WyoJax

WyoJax Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Wyoming
    This was just the thread I was looking for. My girls are getting a little stir crazy and I figured something to nibble at or peck at should work fine to help wear them out. Those premade chicken treats are quite expensive when thinking about how fast it'll get gobbled up!

10. maggie2016

maggie2016 New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    At what age do you need to give chicks (chick grit)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by