treats for chicks?? Is this ok and what would a good treat be?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chelsey21211, Mar 24, 2013.

1. chelsey21211

chelsey21211 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    North Texas
    [​IMG]
    some of my babies. ranging from 1-2 weeks old. 7 bantams 2 gsl 1 brama of some sort. can I give them treats if so what kind??

2. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    They don't really need treats at that age. Chick starter has everything they need, if you give treats they will eat less of their starter. If you do want to give treats anyways I wouldn't give them too much. If you are not giving them grit as far as I know you can feed them plain yogurt, bananas, or cooked eggs. If you are giving them grit they can have many other chicken safe treats. It is your choice :) Hope this helps.

3. chelsey21211

Mar 15, 2013
    North Texas
    Thank you! Do u know what age can give them starter/grower?? The bag of starter i have say from day one for chicks?? Is this right

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Starter/grower feed is chick starter that has slightly less protein than just chick starter. You can keep feeding grower as the chicks get older...so basically you can start them on the starter/grower and keep them on that until they start laying...or you can give them starter and then switch to the starter/grower...It is a preference thing. I like the higher protein of the chick starter, but I tend to mix it up everytime I buy a new bag. I'll get 20% one time, and then the next I get 24%...so on and so forth. I am no good with decisions, so instead of picking one or the other I use both in rotation. Lol.
    What confuses me is meat bird food...you would think it would be high in protein right...? My chick starter is 24% but the meat bird food is only 20%...It's all very confusing..but really use chick starter or grower until they start to lay, and then switch to a layer feed...or just do what I do and use flockraiser with oyster shell on the side basically. That way the chickens that don't need the layer yet aren't eating it...and the chickens that do need the layer feed can eat the oyster shell.

5. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I have given my chicks little bits of lettuce, small bits of strawberries, and tiny specks of carrot. Oh, and some small tidbits of ham...they seemed to like all of it, and I have seen no ill effects. I also gave them some worms I found in the yard 2 weeks ago, but people on here say that earthworms can give chicks parasites...I personally figure that if the chicks were being brooded naturally then they would be eating everything the mama chicken eats...so I don't see the big deal...Most of these things are a personal preference,. Everyone has an opinion based on this, that, or the other, but you just have to find what works for you. If you give your chicks anything other than chick starter make sure to give them a little chick grit as well, since if they were being hen brooded they would be pecking at the ground and getting grit that way.

6. Mister B

Mister B Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2013
    NW Alabama
    I was buying food at the feed store and saw they had some gerbil treats marked down to 99 cents. It's mostly seeds and dried fruit. I fling a handful in to my hens each evening. They seem to like it. It has whole kernel corn in it, though. Is that ok?

7. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    As a guide
    0-6 weeks chick starter 20% protein
    7-18/20 weeks grower 18% protein
    20+ weeks layer 16% protein

I have some 6 week olds I am still feeding starter to, and I will until the bag is finished (another week or so) then I will switch to grower.
    Start to give them layer when they start laying eggs :)

8. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    Mealworms are by far all my chickens and chicks favorite treat! I've even started clicker training them for show with them

9. chelsey21211

Mar 15, 2013
    North Texas
    Wow I really appreciate the variety of opinions. very helpful thanks yall!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by