treats for chicks/Outside playtime temp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickadeedoodah, Apr 15, 2008.

1. chickadeedoodah

chickadeedoodah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    littleton co
    My chicks are about 2 weeks old. I am new to this and I am wondering what types of treats I can give them. I have tried yogurt because it was recommended in the book I have but they would not touch it. I tried plain and strawberry. Are they still too young?
    I tried a little bit of oatmeal which they did like but then realized maybe they are supposed to have grit with that. (?) The feed store told me I did not need grit for chicks. When do I add this to their diet?

Also, should I be turning off the heat lamp (red bulb) at all or leave it on 24/7? The book said to turn it off for 1/2 hour each day to get them used to lights out but when I do this they huddle together. I am sure they are cold so we never make the 1/2 hour.

When can I take them outside to play? Is there a minimum temp? I know it is important to keep them warm. I live in Colorado and today is supposed to be near 80 degrees.

A million questions... Sorry!

When do I clip their wing?

I appreciate any advice--Thanks!!

2. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'll only answer a couple of your questions here.... Check the sticky thread at the top of the "Feeding Time" section, to read more about treats. Chicks can be scared of strange and new things, so time and continued exposure will probably get them used to things like yogurt. But, since they are not interested in it yet, I would just wait a few more weeks before offering the treats to them. The chick feed is adequate nutrition. As long as they are only eating chick feed, they don't need grit. When they start eating other things too, they need the grit to help digest it.

I leave the heat lamp on 24/7 but others turn it off. Its up to you, really.

Don't trim wing feathers for a long time. Once they are living outside full-time, if they have a fenced yard that isn't high enough, and they fly ove it and get into trouble, -then- you clip the wing feathers to keep them in their fence.

have fun with your chickies!

3. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:First of all Welcome! So nice to have another chicken lover in Colorado! [​IMG]

As far as treats, I would say that they are too young. You can look under the index on the main page under feeding time for other opinions, but really they should just be eating their starter feed right now. You do not need grit right now if you are only feeding the starter. If you are feeding treats, then you must use grit. I waited until my chicks were almost 6 weeks to introduce treats. They still like the raw oatmeal best.

I always left our heat lamps on 24/7. But, we got our chicks at the beginning of February and it was extremely cold here. Are they inside? Because if they are I would imagine that your house is not warmer then 85 degrees. You should be decreasing their temperature by 5 degrees each week, starting the first week at 95 degrees. So, right now, your temperature should be 85 degrees 24/7. You are right, huddling means that they ARE cold.

When you take your chicks outside, the temperature needs to be close to what they need for their age. Like you said, it will be close to 80 today, so that would be great for them to go outside. But I also know that it is VERY windy here today (at least by me). Chicks should not be exposed to drafts, so I would be cautious about having them outside in this wind.

Hope this helps! Again, welcome to the BYC. There is TONS of information on this website and always lots of other chicken lovers with great ideas and experience. Enjoy your chicks!

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Forgot to add that I am not sure about wing clipping. If you did it, it shouldn't be done until much later and only if needed (ie. chickens flying over the sides of the run)

Maybe someone else has ideas on this one......

5. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    I have 4 chicks who are now 6 1/2 weeks old. I left the heat light on 24/7, just moving it back farther and farther so the temp would drop a bit in the box.

But 3 nights ago, I turned the light off completely at night. I realized that they are going to be making the transition to their coop in a week or two and needed to get used to the dark. (I take them out to the coop during the day right now but bring them back in the evening or if the temp gets cool) My poor little girls were terrified when I turned their light off!. They peeped and peeped.. I felt just awful! I did turn on a nightlight for them and left the hall light on and it helped somewhat, but I wish I had done this sooner a bit at a time so that they woud have gotten used to it?

Last night was the same thing, as soon as I turn the light off...they peep like their hurt..it breaks my heart!

I am going to try turning it off earlier today and let the suns own light do its thing.

I keep it on in the day as the box is quite high sided and the sunlight doesnt quite reach enough inside.

Darlene

6. ChickadeeLover

ChickadeeLover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    My babies go crazy for a bit of scrambled egg yolk. but I also use just their food for treats and feed it out of my hand or on my lap

7. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    My babies love watermelon and cantalope.. they have not been too keen on oatmeal yet, but when I mixed their chick starter with some water and warmed it up for a few seconds in the microwave, they went nuts for it.
    I found that when I give them new treats, if I "peck" at the new stuff with my finger a few times, they get curious, and come over to see what "mommy" has for them. We tried a few worms this weekend.. and the girls were so funny!! They seemed to be terrified of the little squirmers at first, then spent a good 5 minutes tossing them around the brooder. Then, once one of them got a good taste, it was ON!!
    Ohh, and my "girls" are 4 weeks and 2 weeks.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  8. chickadeedoodah

chickadeedoodah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    littleton co
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

Douglaspeeps it is windy here as well (near Morrison) so I think I will wait a bit for the outside.

I will wait on the treats for a while longer too. Oh, and yes they are inside-- in the middle of the dining room

Thanks Again!!!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by