1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

treats for chicks..when?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mandapanda3186, Apr 6, 2011.

1. mandapanda3186

mandapanda3186 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    southwest Michigan
    Just wondering at what age you can start to give treats. And what is best. I know chickens eat pretty much any and all scrap food but what is a common favorite? Also is there anything to avoid? Chicks are only 2 days old..but just trying to prepare [​IMG]

2. Yoko

Yoko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
  3. sunshineyarns

sunshineyarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    I started giving ours yogurt and mealworms somewhere during the 1-2 weeks... they love both! I just brought home some crickets the other day too and they loved that even more! I'd say for for it! Petco/Petsmart has Mealworms in the fridge--- you can ask and they grab you some/show you where they are. They even have small mealworms, which is what I started mine out on.

I still need to figure out why mine haven't had a taste for any veg yet! I've tried them on apple, grapes, spinach, strawberries, carrots and they turn their nose up at it! I'll keep trying --- They have had access to dirt/grit, as I put some fresh sand/dirt in the brooder here and there.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by