Treats for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tfalls3, Aug 24, 2016.

1. tfalls3

tfalls3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    Fern Park, Florida
    What can I give 4wk old chicks as treats to help them stay cool? We had our last batch in the early spring so they were bigger by the time the nasty heat and humidity of Florida kicked in. We used to give chilled watermelon out of my garden and veggiecicles ( diced veg in big ice cubes) but with them being so little not sure what to give.
    They are in the shade during the hottest parts of the day and have plenty of water, aren't showing signs of being hot but it's normally a heat index of well over 100. We freeze big hunks of ice and put it in the water and yesterday I made them a cold mix of water and their starter crumble and it was gone in no time.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

you can still give them watermelon, frozen or not, they won't bite off more than they can swallow, so veggiecicles are fine too, other frozen fruit, yogurt, milk.
    pretty much anything that big chickens can eat as long as the chicks can bite off pieces small enough to swallow.
    other than that make sure their water never runs low, and that they have plenty of shade.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    You can freeze 2L soda bottles to put in with them to function as air-conditioning. They can cuddle up if they get too hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by