Treats for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tylexie, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Tylexie

Tylexie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    I was wondering what treats you could give to chicks that are healthy for them. Does it vary for age? Good for 4 weeks old but not week olds? If so, when you give your input, please also say the approximate age that they can eat this treat.

Have fun and be creative! I look forward to everyone's input.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    I would say no treats until about two weeks old. Then every now and then you can give some leafy greens of any kind, or dried mealworms. If you can find a earthworm to give to them sit back and prepare for a show. They all want the worm so one will grab it and run around and the others will follow and try to take it from the other chick. My chicks ran around with out even eating any of the worm for about 5 minutes. Its hilarious![​IMG]

3. Tylexie

Tylexie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    Yeah, that makes sense. Do you have any advice on what treats they do like when they're older?

Thanks!

4. chickenweirdo1

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Watermelon is my chickens favorite.

5. The Golden Egg5

The Golden Egg5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    I've heard you can give them finely chopped boiled or scrambled egg when they are only a few days old!

6. chickenweirdo1

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    You could also make hanging treats buy taking a pine cone and tie a string onto it. Cover the pine cone in peanut butter or soy butter or anything like that and take some bird seed or chicken scratch and cover the pine cone in that then hang it for the ladies.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    You can moisten a little chick feed and they think they're getting something special when it's really just their food and water mixed. Any age just take care to only mix up what can be consumed. This is what I do with the powdery textured food they don't seem to like to eat as-is.

8. aplatta

aplatta New Egg

Apr 4, 2014
    All sound easy. Our girls were eating out of the kids hands day 3!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by