Treats for Chicks

ChelseyQ18

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2017
Wyoming
frow.gif
Hey, yall!

My chickies won't eat treats!? I've tried putting some lettuce scraps in for them, along with pieces of tomato and some cucumber scraps. They barely touch them! They mostly just burry them in their bedding. Is this normal? When did yall start trying treats here and there with your chicks? And how did you get them to actually try them?

How old are they? I introduced treats at about three weeks (sparingly) and flipped the tidbit around with my finger. Remember, in a natural surroundings, chicks learn what to eat from Mom and the rest of the flock.

My 5 wk old chicks free range with the herd, so they get in there when the scratch comes out at night. i try to keep them away, and the hens make it so they only get little.

We've got 2 that I believe are about 5-6 weeks old, 4 that are about 3-4 weeks old, and one that is about 2 weeks old. It's hard for me to tell exactly on the ages. Do you have any tricks on how to make a good estimate?

ChelseyQ18
At that age size can help you determine age but it is safe to say they are all chicks so we need to address your first important question and that is feeding them treats. I would not feed them treats you need to fill their bellies with chick starter morning and night. If they free range they are picking at everything they see which will lower their needed protein intake. Treat your chicks as we treat or newborns. Newborns consume "baby milk/ formula" not treats. Chicks need to consume "Starter feed" not treats in order to grow healthy and fit. I know their are some that will say " back in the day" there was no starter and chickens survived. Very true but they were smaller and less productive.

Back
Top Bottom