Treats for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Easter_Egger04, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Easter_Egger04

Easter_Egger04 In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2018
    Hi, I’m new to backyard chickens. I just got 4 Easter Egger chicks (so cute!!!) and was wondering what some good treats are for them? I gave them crickets and they loved them!
    Thanks

2. Krystalbelanger

Krystalbelanger In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2018
    Milton
    Mine go crazy over worms. They fond one in the yard over the weekend and I thought they might kill each other over it so we broke it up and gave them each some and they were the happiest chicks ever

3. Easter_Egger04

Easter_Egger04 In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2018
    Thank you!

4. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    My Coop
    mealworms, crickets, moths, peanuts (crushed for size), greens (cabbage, lettuce, dandilion, clover, etc.) and make sure to offer chick sized grit for digestion.

5. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    Hard boiled egg yolk. They go nuts for it.

6. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Tiny tiny pieces of strawberry and cabbage were a huge hit. They also liked cottage cheese. I'm going to try brovolli again. I think as long as they can have it, mine will eat it. They get a treat before bed. That way I know they are their food all day and the small treat is just a treat.

7. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    Just tried cut up grapes this evening. I placed them on a shallow plastic lid and put them in the brooder. The chicks were curious but formed a tight circle equidistant around the grapes - curious but not yet daring to try. Finally one dashed in, took a piece and ran off. Then all of them were interested and followed suit. Grapes gone in mere seconds. Otherwise, mealworms, minced raw carrot, Brussels sprouts leaves, and apple have been enjoyedas treats.

17 chicks that are 5 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: