Treats for chicks?

bocephus_the_rooster

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Hi, my chicks are three weeks old about. They are RIR. i was wondering if it is ok to give them any treats yet, and also, what kind of treats should i give them?

my rir are 4 weeks and they are crazed for shredded cheddar cheese and also for worms we find them in the garden

Last edited:
Oooh.....I'm going to have to try the cheddar cheese. Mine are 5 weeks old and since they were 3 weeks old their very favorite treat is scrambled eggs - they simply go crazy over it. They also love finely shredded cabbage - I do it in a cuisinart with the cole slaw type disc.

I put sand in the brooders the first week...that way I didn't have to worry. They ate the sand and took dust baths right away. They have enjoyed grubs, various greens from the garden (love strawberries that are a lil overripe) and leftovers from the frig.

The crop does not grind the food...the gizzard is where their food is processed. The sand/grit stays in the gizzard for a short time...the reason you have to have a constant source such as grit/sand/soil while free-ranging.

Back
Top Bottom