treats for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Henrietta23, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    My three chicks are now a week and a half old. I just did a search for treats that they can have but I get so many hits that it's overwhelming. Can someone list a few healthy treats they can have now or in a little while? They're so much fun to watch. I want to spoil them just a little!
    Thanks

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    As long as they are still eating the pine shaving I would not give them treats. I usually wait until 3 or 4 weeks of age anyway to make sure they know the crumbles are their feed. Since you are pulsing their feed to an even finer crumble you could add yogurt to it so it makes a type of mash. Until they are consuming good quantities of the feed I wouldn't give them much of anything else based on the shavings eating behavior.

My 2 to 3 day old chicks (12 in all) have finished a full quart of starter feed and are working on the next. None of them have tried to eat the shavings either. They attacked the feed from within minutes of being moved from the hatcher/bator to the brooder. They have also drank a quart of water. they have consumed this in since they were put in the brooder late saturday night. They have good appetites!

3. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Grated carrots, grated greens and soaked oatmeal! They love dandelions and chives or scallions. Worrms are fun but they also love spaghetti if you wiggle it! Just don't overdue you can cause diarrhea if you give them too many treats at once.

4. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Thanks Miss P. I am still giving them a little yogurt once in a while mixed with their crumbles. I will wait until they are safely on shavings and not eating any before adding anything to their diet. I'll keep a list of suggestions in the meantime. They're still playing with the shavings they pull up from under the paper but they seem to not be eating them anymore. They'll peck at the small pieces but not gobble them down like they were. They are all happy and running around. Even trying to fly out. I don't leave the lid off when cleaning anymore! They almost look like they're playing leap frog at times. And they've gotten HUGE!

5. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    I sometimes give my chicks plain scrambled eggs or a little dry oatmeal, and yogurt too.

6. Screebert

Screebert Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2007
    Oregon City, OR
    I give mine finely chopped grapes and some fresh grass from outdoors.

7. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:LOL, no grass here. Just snow and mud. [​IMG]

8. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    I just gave my week old chick a meal worm. OMG!!! I can not do this justice...This is absolutly the funniest thing!! She grabbed it out of my hand like she hadn't eaten ever in her life, and ran around the brooder making the silliest noise with it still in her mouth. Then she tilted her head back and swallowed the whole dern thing. Then ran back over to me and sqawked for more.
    I have to get this on video!!
    I have also heard that tiny little crickets are fun, too! [​IMG]

9. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Mine are right at a month old. They get one treat at night, as part of the Handle The Chicks So They Aren't Sociopaths regime. I've given them:

Finely chopped spinach
    Thawed sweet corn
    Baked sweet potato
    Oatmeal (plain)
    Wet crumbles/mash
    Oatmeal with raspberries and blueberries mushed up in it
    Thawed mixed veggies (the carrots were a big hit. Broccoli- not so much)
    Meal worms

The worms and the corn got the biggest reaction, the veggies the smallest. Everything else was kind of in the middle. The plain oatmeal was only good to play in according to them. They see me open the brooder door at night and know it's time for something yummy [​IMG]

10. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    i gave them yogurt yesterday, the stood in it (all five of them) then stepped out and started eating it, then i let them out in the yard and they went romper room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by