treats for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mika4me, Aug 26, 2010.

1. mika4me

mika4me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Sacramento
    I have lots of corn coming in from the garden, and am wondering if my chicks would like a corn cob to play with and/or eat, or if they are too young. They are between two and three weeks old. Any other treats that would be appropriate at this age or do I wait?

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I don't know about corn at that age, but I gave my gals (roasted or live) meal worms, small crickets (pet store), and a hard boiled egg that has been chopped up. They went NUTS over the first two. Probably better to introduce them to meal worms first and then when they get the idea of wiggly=food, try the crickets. My three were TERRIFIED and wedged themselves in a corner until Sunny got the idea. Then it was just pure mayhem. [​IMG]

*Edit add -don't forget to give them a grit source if you treat them. Coarse sand works well.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  3. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Hi,
    I give my chickens corn and peas. They LOVE them. I also buy corn on the cob and hang it on a rope in the coop. They peck every kernal off of the cob and it keeps them busy.
    I gave my baby chicks corn and that is fine. It's soft so can peck at it all day. They also love lettuce.
    You can give them all kinds of produce as long as it's soft like cantalope, watermellon ect...Enjoy the babys.

4. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Absolutely.....they will love pecking at it...give them all the soft produce you can.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Make sure you are providing small grit (I used parakeet grit from a pet store, but most feed stores carry it) for them when you introduce treats. And remember to limit treats to a very small amount. Chopped up boiled egg is usually a favorite, or scrambled egg. They may or may not peck at an ear of corn...my hens will, but they're a lot stronger to peck down on the kernals. I'm not sure if the little guys would be able to do it...

6. mika4me

mika4me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Sacramento
    Do you put grit in a separate bowl? Does it matter if they throw it all over the place? As soon as I clean the brooder and set up the feeder, my biggest chick goes over and tosses food out of each and every opening in the feeder and then they all proceed to peck the food up off the ground. Will they do that with the grit as well?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by