Treats for Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jkioneil, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I have been giving my girls (4 weeks old) bits of boiled egg and they love it! I tried giving them some plain yogurt but they wanted no part of it, even mixed with the crumbles. Is there anything else I can give them that does not require grit? Can they have grit yet? I was hoping to give them bits of banana or something?

2. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    Yes they have chick grit that they can have...Also they can use sand as grit. You could put a little sand box in there for them to dust bathe in and they will also use some of it for grit.

3. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    You can not give them grit. You give them Chick Starter until they lay their first egg. once they lay their first egg, you can switch to grit. there are many treats for chickens, some of my chicken's favorites are weeds, dirt, seeds, earwigs, roaches, and kitchen scraps. not to mention flies. Experiment with all different kinds of food. And write down their favorites. Hope this Helps. The dirt can also be used as grit.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  4. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Yes they can have chick grit, it's ground finer than regular grit. If they are eating anything solid besides their chick starter they should have grit whether it is from foraged from sand or bought, I offer it to mine in a seperate dish (which they usually turn over), some people sprinkle it in their food. I think Oreo is thinking of scratch, not grit. Once they get close to laying age about 18-20 weeks they can go on layer food. There is a grower blend also they can be fed from 10 weeks till they start their layer food.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  5. Justgotchicks12

Justgotchicks12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Mealworms would be a treat for a chick. As for grit, SURE!!

6. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Oh great I will go get some sand or chick grit right away! thanks so much everyone!

7. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I just went and got grit and mixed it into the feed and sprinkled some on the floor. They started eating it and we gave them a little banana and hung some greens in there. They are sooo happy thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by