1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Treats for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ktklages, Jan 9, 2013.

1. ktklages

ktklages Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    I'm new to the whole chicken experience and I'm curious as to when I can give my chicks some treats and what would be great to give them. They are currently less than a week old; exactly 6 days now. They're all doing great and they've been eating their medicated crumbles just fine, I just thought it might be nice to give them some variety from time to time. On a side note, I haven't had any pastings issues whatsoever... Not that I'm complaining, but is there a point in when I don't have to check their little rear ends anymore?

2. JaxGrits

JaxGrits Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    North Florida
    My chicks are six weeks old and only recently became interested in treats. Figuring out their food and water was enough for them to worry about when they were 1-4 weeks old and I didn't want them to get confused and think the treats were their food because that chick starter has a lot of nutrients that they need to grow. Now my chicks love rice, grapes (cut up), cracker crumbles, strawberries (cut up) and dried meal worms. We started giving them mealworms as a treat at 4 weeks and they really liked those.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You can start giving them plain yoghurt, dried mealworms, fresh greens chopped into small pieces and scrambled egg, but only in small amounts so their diet still mainly consist of chick crumble. Also: it's very important that you give them grit in some shape or form when they eat treats, to help them digest it. This can be chick grit or coarse sand sprinkled over their food.

4. ktklages

Dec 15, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. They're eating the crumbles just fine, almost too much! I'll try a few of the suggestions posted. Is poultry grit the same as chick grit?

5. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    I feed mine hardboiled eggs.
    really really small bits of it, i mash it with a potato masher.
    and ive heard mealworms are good to!

1 person likes this.
  6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It similar, but look for "chick" grit. It's smaller pieces, so the chicks can ingest it easier.

7. ktklages

Dec 15, 2012
    Thanks I guess I'm gonna have to go to a tractor supply by me because the southern states here only has poultry grit and they tried to tell me it works the same but is used for hardening their shells not helping chickens digest food. What?!?!

8. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    They must be talking about oystershell or digestible grit. Find some clean, coarse sand and sprinkle it over the chicks' food. It will work just as well.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by