Treats for chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by annie82005, Mar 9, 2013.

1. annie82005

annie82005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Snow Shoe, Pa
    I have week old chicks. Is there anything I can give them for treats? I have a lot of cracked corn, walnuts ans things like that. New to this so I'm not giving them anything before I know it's safe. Thanks!

2. equinealot

equinealot Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    I have been putting apple peals, Strawberry Tops,Turnip Greens, yellow squash, yellow & Red bell pepper all in my small food chopper. I put it on top of their chick starter. They love it. Mine were 3 weeks old when I got them. I gave them chopped up pasta with their vegies the other day they were hilarious. You would think they had worms.

3. annie82005

Mar 8, 2013
    Snow Shoe, Pa
    Awww that sounds too cute!!! Thanks! I will try the fresh veggies and fruit! :)

4. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    My chicks are not quite 3 weeks- getting alot of feedback saying to just give them their food and no treats yet. I have given mine ( before I got this advice) hard boiled eggs- loved
    Strawberries- no interest
    Parsley- no interest
    Celery leaves- kind-of liked--
    Carrots " ribboned" with a vegetable peeler I think they liked them so much because they thought thwy were worms haha
    So bottom line- my experience at this age- they seem to love veggies and fruit well... Not so much!
    Grapes- no
    Carrots, "ribboned" with a vegetable peeler-loved ( mostly for play)

S

1 person likes this.
  5. Pennington722

Pennington722 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    What age is good to start giving treats? We brought our chicks home (13) from TS 7 days ago. My husband thinks that they were 3-4 days old at the time, but we are not sure because the employee at TS said he knew nothing about chicks ;-) Thanks in advance! We are very new to this, but are loving our new little girls!

6. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    From what I've read you should wait until they are at least 3 weeks old so they are established and eating their crumbles really well. Their starter food has all the nutrients they need to grow up healthy and strong so treats should be given sparingly. And make sure to give them chick grit before you give them any kind of treat.
    Good luck with the new chicks! What did you get? Any pics?

7. annie82005

Mar 8, 2013
    Snow Shoe, Pa
    [​IMG]
    These are my girls!

1 person likes this.
  8. annie82005

Mar 8, 2013
    Snow Shoe, Pa
    Any idea on the breed? :)

9. jlteed

jlteed New Egg

Aug 24, 2012
    My 9 year old Daughter was a little skiddish towards our 4 week old chicks so I crumbled up a hard boiled egg and fed from our hands. She is so in love with interacting with them now, she said it feels really cool!! 5 Columbian Wyandotts, 5 Gold Buff Oprs, 5 Barred Rock.

10. annie82005

Mar 8, 2013
    Snow Shoe, Pa
    Awwww that's cute! I have a 3 1/2 year old who loves our babies! I have white leghorns and red sex links

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by