Treats for ducklings?

comp6512

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2008
My ducks are almost two weeks old now, but they are still terrified of me. Every time I open the brooder top to change their water, feed, etc. they are running to the corner peeping and piling up on each other. My chicks ran towards me when I approached! Especially if I had treats.

Not that I want the ducks for pets, but I want them to be used to me and come towards me when I approach. That's in order for me to be able to round them up when they start free-ranging.

So, for two week old ducklings - is there anything I can offer from my hand to start training them?

A great resource is https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=242460

Mine
loved beans and cold scrambled eggs at 2 weeks. Its messy but they went crazy for them. Just smash them into small bits first. I also hand fed them some of their regular feed. Just be sure to keep your hand flat...the pinches start to hurt.

It may help if you can sit down and feed them. You probably look like a giant to them. I spent a lot of time talking to them and petting them so they got used to me when they were young. I also made sure they got used to me checking their feet. They will let me pick them up and inspect them without a fuss but they aren't imprinted on me.

My ducks are pets and I grew to care for them when I would sit with them (more so than other animals I've raised) so if you plan on eating them you may not want to have long conversations with them
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom