Treats for goats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenlittle27, Sep 25, 2008.

1. chickenlittle27

chickenlittle27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Licking Missouri
    What kind of treats are good to give to goats? I have been giving the animal crackers is that ok

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Animal crackers are ok but also try corn chips and maybe some BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds) I dont give mine treats as I have over 40 goats and you would get mobbed...if by chance you have just a few I just wouldnt over do it as they can get to fat on treats.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    my goat loves those hard chinese noodles you get with take out chinese food...[​IMG]..Wendy

4. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Mine love raisins. All treats in moderation of course.

5. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Mine like saltine crackers.

6. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    Peanuts, they do anything for them!

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I tried giving my lady goats treats when I first brought them home. What a disaster it was. One goat got about 80% of the treats. I think it's because of the size difference-- two Nigies and a Lamancha. I haven't given treats since, except when one has to come out of the pen for medical/hygiene treatments, then I give them one apple flavoured horse treat. I like it this way, it simplifies things and keeps the goats focused on the rewards of human love.

8. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Our goat eat just about anything I throw out to them.
    They love bread, crackers(of all kinds), fruits and veggies, oatmeal, even tree branches that have fallen--they eat the leave off the branches.
    They are on open pasture 24 hrs a day 7 days a week, so they constantly have grass to graze.
    They also love pumpkin, squash, watermelon. They eat fallen apples, corn on the cob(stalks and all).
    anything I throw out when in the garden...beets, turnips, lettuce, etc.etc.
    They eat sunflower plants (heads, stems, seeds).

I only have 2 goats right now, but by no means are they ever short of food. They come running for treats even if by some slim chance I don't have any.

9. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    My pygmies love banana chips!!

10. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    We have a pygmy fainting goat. Her favorite treat any time she gets a chance... chicken food!

I can't feed the chickens with her around, she headbutts them and steals all the pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by