1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Treats for my chicks....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jolyn, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Hi everyone!!

I'm sure this has been asked many times but i couldn't find a thread on it.

My chicks are now 11 days old and i'm wondering when i can give snacks.

I was thinking of starting with yogurt, oatmeal and apple sauce. The yogurt should be plain right? Can the oatmeal be instant and does the apple sauce need to be sugar free?

Also when can they start getting things like worms? What are some other things they would like?

Thanks for any info,
    Jodie

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    You need to wait a few more weeks. They should be eating their chick starter for now to get all they need. I fed mine scrambled eggs when they were a bit older....only becuz my dog left some behind. Oh, they got a couple of spiders, also...lol

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I gave my chicks 1/2 a hard boiled egg when they were one week old and they loved it. Of course, they had to play keepaway with it. They had no ill effects from it and I plan to give it again on each "week" birthday. I don't plan on giving them any other treats until they hit about 6 weeks. Unless of course I find a worm. [​IMG]

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    A little yogurt, applesauce, boiled egg will not hurt them just remember it is a treat and should be kept to a minimum. They need their starter.

My girls got boiled egg mashed up at one week old...yogurt at 2 weeks and at three weeks they got plain baked yam and went crazy for it. They have a separate dish for their treats and when they see that dish they start getting excited now at 4 weeks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by