Treats for my girls from frozen and cracked eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dknigge, Feb 5, 2014.

1. dknigge

dknigge New Egg

Jan 6, 2014
    I'd like ideas on treats that people might make for their chickens. My hens expect a treat every evening when I gather eggs, so I use eggs that have frozen and cracked to make what I call my "hen bread". I use the cracked eggs and anything else I can find that's going stale - old wheat flour, stale sunflower seeds, rice flour that I bought for some odd reason, milk that's on the verge - you get the idea. Mix with a bit of oil and a little baking powder for leavening to a batter bread consistency and bake in a loaf pan.
    Any other ideas for inexpensive treats for chickens?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i use mine with quick oats and corn meal and like you what ever is laying around and "cook" it in the microwave. i usually buy frozen spinach or corn.

3. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Hi,

You might try growing your own mealworms or sunflower plants for their seeds. That'd be relatively inexpensive.

HS Pye

4. Crysta

Crysta Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Florida
    You can buy meal worms in bulk, like 1000 for 20 dollars, and breed you own meal worms. Also, there many plants that are easy to grow that you can give them clippings of parsley, KALE, etc. My chickens love kale.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by