Treats for my little ones

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by slugmar, Mar 14, 2007.

1. slugmar

slugmar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2007
    I was wondering what kind of items i could use for treats for the little ones there about 2 weeks old now give them bread now and them just a little piece but i want to get them use to seeing a red bowl at night time and know that is there treat bowl.

2. jmofaustin

jmofaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I give mine grapes cut into 8 pieces.

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    i know other people give them boiled eggs.

4. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    I gave my chicks fresh grass which they loved. Fruits are a good choice too!!![​IMG]

5. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Mealworms!!! quite entertaining when they're so young.

[​IMG] Miriam

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I was wondering.....are B moths good for baby chicks? Not sure what everyone calls them....they use them here for fishing..very squishy! Im sure high in protein...but good for them? and if so, at what age?

7. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Try feeding them some crumbled up bread scraps.

8. lively Bee's

lively Bee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    canned corn, pea's, green beans lettuce

9. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    When feeding babies treats such as the ones mentioned, it is a good idea to make sure the have chick grit available. The only thing I give them is boiled eggs untill they are around 4 weeks old. JMHO>

They love bread, but make sure they don't get to much remember the little crop doesn't hold much and bread has little to no nutritional value. They need the nutrients found in the feed to grow up healthy with strong bones and healthy feathering.

10. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    my personal opinion is not to give any excessive treats as this detracts from the balanced nutrition in the starter (the ratio between all the different vitamins and minerals and amino acids is very important)...mine do get green (they "graze" with mamma hen and will only eat what she directs them to eat...and free choice probiotic (live culture) yogurt... I dont start treats until around 8-10 weeks (unless in the hot weather...then I serve their feed in "watermelon bowls" or such as this contains so much fluid and keeps them from dehydration).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by