Treats for Peas

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Kedreeva, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    It occurs to me that I should ask about treats for my peachicks here. They are about 5 weeks and they're spoiled and I'm easy so I thought I would make sure I'm at least being safe about giving treats.

So far their favorite treats have been watermelon, crickets, and yellow summer squash (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yyw_Xmkp0uE/SnX-mVI8y_I/AAAAAAAAADM/Pu0GrFgKlJc/s400/squash.jpg) that's been cooked and cooled. I've also given them wet cat food, raspberries, cooked whole grain spaghetti (well ok, I didn't GIVE that to him, he flew over and took it), peas (which they ironically hated), crushed pretzels (which they hated), and cooked/shredded green beans, but they don't go as crazy for those as the watermelon, crickets, or squash. I really need to get a video of the squash fight we have over every piece, as it is their #1 favorite.

They get grit over one food dish (leftover finely ground oyster shell, looks like sand) but not the other and always have medicated chick starter and game bird starter in their brooder.

Are any of the foods I listed bad for them and are there other treats that they might like as well?

2. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    if you have a surplus of chicken eggs. hard boil them and feed them to the peas... I used to put them in the food processor shell and all and give it to ALL my animals. Now I just break the eggs apart and toss them in the pens.... LESS MESSY

Any pasta is good, rice, tomatoes, spaghetti squash, spinach, cucumbers, bread, peanuts, raisins, cooked chicken, left over meatloaf [​IMG] ..... just about anything [​IMG]

spaghetti squash is fun to watch them eat. they peal off a string and run around like they have a worm.... playing keep-away

3. featherhead

featherhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Kentucky, USA
    Mine like red seedless grapes, cantaloupe, baby lettuce, raisins and white bread. Be sure to wash all the fruits/veggies well before you give them to your peas. They will also like fresh corn on the cob (watch them chase that cob as it rolls - funny!) and tomatoes.

4. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I don't know that I've heard of spaghetti squash before, but given how they act about the summer squash I wouldn't be surprised. They grab a round slice from my hands and then run in circles with it and play keep away from me as I try to get it back to split into edible sized pieces.

Almost all of my veggies come from my own garden, so while we do wash them, it's not for chemicals. I forgot that we did give them a part of a tomato before we made salsa, and they thought that was 'ok'... but it was no squash!

I was worried about giving them bread... I know that in chickens and ducks, dry bread can expand when it gets wet in their crops and could lead to an impacted crop. I don't know if they'd like it or not, but I could try it soaked in something, maybe watermelon juices.

I wish we had extra eggs, but we can't sell them fast enough to the people who want them here! The eggs pretty much pay for the food and stuff for the birds at this point so they're fairly self sufficient XD

5. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    This would make a good 'sticky' topic too!
    Now I can't wait to get home & give mine some yellow squash, lol!

6. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    how do you cook the squash for the peacocks

7. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Well, we didn't cook it for the peacocks... we cooked it ourselves and gave them some! We just sliced them up like cucumber slices and fried them in a pan with a little bit of olive oil and water till they softened up. I set aside a few for the chicks and salted/herbed the rest for my mom and me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by