Treats for the babies and at what age to start?

kisat

Songster
12 Years
Apr 1, 2007
Washington State
I have been reading books that say you shouldn't give treats to baby chicks and I was figuring I'd ask the pros here. When raising baby chicks, at what age can you start giving them treats, and what kinds of things to start with, do they like, etc?
Thank you
smile.png

I started my girls on a boiled egg mashed up at one week old. At two weeks they were on yogurt (plain low fat) mixed with starter, from there they gradutated to boiled rice (no real nutritional value), plain baked yam mashed. Then by about 4 weeks they were loving steamed broccoli, lettuce, cooked oatmeal and now at 6 weeks they are eating applesauce with starter mixed in it.

Main thing to remember is that it is a treat only and not a food source. So give in moderation.

I'm certainly no expert as I've had chickens for only 2 months now. My theory was that if they were out with momma chicken they'd be getting bugs, leaves, grass etc probably after about a week old. I gave mine some bugs and worms at about 1-2 weeks, just one bug or worm each, and gave them some dirt to get rocks out of. I gave them some weeds to poke through, grass clippings, spinach leaves, etc at a couple of weeks old. At about 3-4 weeks I started what I deemed the "non-natural, but healthy foods" (as in foods that free-ranging chickens wouldn't get) like yogurt, oatmeal, bread, etc. Always in small amounts, so they still would eat the chicken starter.

Thats just the way I did it, I don't see a problem with small amounts of healthy treats at a week or two old.

Quote:
White rice has less fiber and vitamins than brown rice, but is an excellent source of niacin and a moderate source of protein, thiamin and iron.

Milling the brown rice and removing the hull - leaving it now white rice - does strip alot of its nutritional values, especially B vitamins, but it doesn't strip everything.

Rice feeds the world. And chickens
wink.png

Cetawin -

Thank you so much. That sounds like something good. I'll definitely keep 'moderation' in mind
smile.png

lemurchaser -

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. It seems like they would get grass and whatnot if they lived outside so I couldn't understand why the books were saying that you shouldn't do so. I did see something about the eggs, but I wanted make sure the age was correct. I don't want do anything wrong with them
smile.png
Ick. The first night (they are kept in my room) they were so quiet that I woke up in a panic and couldn't sleep right because I was afraid they'd die. New momma 'issues' I had
tongue.png
But, they sleep so quietly and peacefully during the night so I got scared.

My 5-6 week olds were out in their tractor all day... we out there working for about 8 hours...we just came in. I was out working in my rose gardens. When I dug a dandelion I would throw the whole plant into the tractor and they loved it. I threw them the whole works... root, dirt, worms, and the top and flowers of the dandelions. It took all 8 of them a while to almost completely demolish one of them. It kept them busy and they had a blast with it. It was funny to watch them. With the chicks out there I can tell it's going to take me about twice as long to get my garden work done. I'm too busy watching the chicks!
lau.gif

When I'd stop for a break, I'd pick them a small handful of grass and poke it down thru the wire. The loved it coming down and they ate some and played with it some. I'm using blade of grass to train my chicks to come when I call them. I click with my mouth while I'm offering a blade of grass...they are starting to come running when I do that clicking sound now.
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

I was watching to be sure they were all in their shelter eating their chick food too. They were good girls and ate plenty of that while they were out there. The feeder was almost empty and I just filled it when I put them out there today.

They just had a grand old time!
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks Gindee77
smile.png
Sounds like they had a blast! I know what you mean. I told my mom straight out that she shouldn't go my room and look at them too long to watch them because she'll lose an hour if she does
bun.gif
I go in my room right now (2 of mine are only 3 days & other two are 6 days old) to make sure to clean out poopies, clean water (if so) and give attention and then I'm stuck in there for too long just watching them! Can't stop myself - hehehe That's definitely a great way to call them and get them to learn to come to you.

Back
Top Bottom