Treats for the chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shoonell, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Shoonell

Shoonell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2008
    Utah
    We have some new chicks not exactly sure on age, most of them have wing feathers and little tails. My kids want to know when we can start feeding them treats.

2. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    I started my chicks on treats at 2 weeks. You have to provide them with grit if you are going to give them anything other than the chick starter. My babies have had watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes (they work better if you peel the grapes), worms, cricketts, and oatmeal. There is a list of treats that are good for your chickens, I just can't remember right off where it is posted.

Hope this helps!

PS.. I found a link to the treats chart...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    At 1 week old I gave my chicks a few crickets that I found outside, but I noticed some diarrhea afterwards; even with the grit. I wondered whether it was the crickets or the grit that caused the diarrhea. At 2 weeks old they are tolerating both small amounts of cheerios and crickets without any signs of diarrhea. The cheerios are a fun treat to feed, because unlike the crickets they can't quite figure out how to eat them. They usually just play keep away with them and (maybe) each chick gets a crumb or two.

4. kaylakala

kaylakala Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    I bought mealworms for my sugar gliders and the chickens love them too.

I've go a mealie farm going now.

The chickens will even eat the dead ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by