treats & grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by raymondjames, Oct 14, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    My chicks are almost a week now ([​IMG] [​IMG] happy 1 week Bday!) and i was wondering if they can have treats this young and if/when i should give them grit. thanks in advance!!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Any thing you feed them beyond their crumble & scrambled eggs they will need grit!!

3. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    you can feed them scrambled eggs!? [​IMG]
    but the guy at the FeedStore (i love saying that) said not to give grit 'til 2 weeks old... just wanted to ask cuz i dont trust that guy... [​IMG]

4. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    They don't need grit for scrambled eggs. I give grit at 2 weeks, just sprinkle a little on their food like you are salting your food, so they don't over eat it.

5. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    thz bikerchc

this isn' t really food related (well it is a Treat i guess) but is 70*F an ok temperature for chicken play? i want to give the chickies a little cooldown and some exercise and was wondering if that is a suitable temp. (1week old btw)

6. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    As long as they aren't huddling together and are playing and scratching around then they are fine.

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Yes they love scrambled eggs!! They will let you know if they get cold. Their more resilant than we give them credit for!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by