treats, scratch, etc.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bmbi328, Jul 24, 2013.

1. bmbi328

bmbi328 In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    Claremore Oklahoma
    I have a few questions about what to feed and when to feed my chickens. They have just recently been able to free range. I have been giving them some greens during the day, like lettuce, radish greens and cucumbers. If they are free range, do they need to be given this? I also have been feeding them scratch, but they will not eat the cracked corn. Should I continue feeding the scratch to them and when would be good to feed them the scratch? And because they are mostly free range all day, should their feeder and waterer stay in their run or should I move it outside of their run? They also are feed crumbles in the feeder. I am so confused on what to feed them and when? Please help.

2. What chickens do you have? If let free range some chickens will forage for the majority of their feed. Like my Leghorns & my OEGB.

Other than chicken feed you don't HAVE to give them anything really. Scratch is a good treat. Chickens will eat most foods you give them but again ou don't have to. Most of us just choose to give all kinds of goodies. I like to put out scratch in the evening to fill the crops before roosting.

Wish ya the best.

3. bmbi328

bmbi328 In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    Claremore Oklahoma
    I have a White Leghorn, 3 GLW, and 2 Ancona's.

4. Your leghorn can be an excellent forager of most of its feed intake. It they have grass/greens available all of your chickens will consume 20-30% of diet from these. In the spring when protein is higher in the plant life, free range chickens will eat even more grass/greens.

I would still keep your feeder in your run for many reasons and continue to feed them the chicken feed free choice.

5. buckaroogirl

buckaroogirl In the Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Alberta
    I have a whole mix of birds. Including leghorns. My girls free range as forage during the day, sometimes they get scraps during the day if I have some (girls are also picky). And then I fill their feeders in the evening and they all come in and have their evening meal. :) my husband and I also catch frogs sometimes in the evening. Then it's a feast!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: