Treats that are high in protein?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nuttyredhead, Nov 1, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    My husband seems to want to throw scratch out for my chickens every time he goes near the coop. I have read that it is low in protein so i wonder... are there any treats that are high in protein? I figure if he wants to feed them something i might as well find something good for them! (oh. they do not like boss).

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    you can give them boiled eggs, but mash them up so they wont look like eggs, and also you can give them dry cat food

3. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:THanks! I like cat food idea! The cat might not though lol!!!!

4. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:JMO. The only time that I've seen them eat their eggs is when a soft shell was layed and the egg split open. This is also in a large flock , 60 hens. I feed mine raw, boiled or scrambled. I also feed them whatever meat leftovers that we have for extra protein. No cat food as it contains mfg. crap. (salt, chemicals, etc.) JMO.

5. dondon

dondon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    nottingham
    mealworms are high in protein and my chucks love them also sunflower hearts and tuna fish [​IMG][​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I bet if you mixed some boss with the scratch they will start eating the boss. Also, if you can find some crickets somewhere there a great source of protein.

7. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    My husband did the scratch thing too....in the heat of the summer....no matter what I said. So....I fed as much to the pigs as I could get away with and made sure they had feed. Now that it is getting cold I am wanting to get them scrach again.....to treat them on really cold days and at the end of the day only.

8. WoofMeowCluck

WoofMeowCluck Dark Speckled Egg Lover

Mar 9, 2010
    Quote:Tuna fish? Do you use the kind that's packed in oil or water? Regarding cat food - my cats eat an all natural grain free brand - would that be ok to use occasionally?

Thanks!

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Give them some scratch. Just balance it out. I live in Texas & this summer it was a scorcher. I still fed them some scratch I just fed them some in the evening inside the coop before they roosted.

10. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    It is hands down more economical to provide your protein in the feed. If you want (or your husband wants) to feed more low protein treats just boost the protein content of your feed to balance it out. IOW, if you're feeding 16% now and are worried that the scratch is cutting the feed to the point of significantly lowering that switch to a 20% flock raiser. Then when it's "cut" with the larger amount of scratch you still end up in the 16% range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by