treats to lure chickens

Cheerful

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 5, 2012
We are having a bit of a time with our 6 free range chickens wandering to far (into the neighbours property) and have recently thought of putting them in a large area we had fenced in previously for goats. (no goats anymore) Though the fencing is not a 100% at keeping them in, it does a pretty good job. The coop, though, is not in this area. So we need to get the chickens into the fenced area, which is proving quite difficult! At the moment, we don't have a clear leader, since we've recently culled some roosters, and though at one time they tended to follow us, they don't seem to do that anymore. (ha! because they think we might kill them? :() And this is where the feed comes in! They couldn't care less about their food, so it's no good trying to feed them in there. I tried throwing some scratch but that is also not enough of a draw. Just wondering if anybody has suggestions for something that might lure them in? Preferably not something expensive! I find, maybe because they are free range (?) that I don't know of anything they really go for and though they enjoy sampling things there isn't something I know would lure them in! It would be great if we could get into a morning routine of heading out to the pasture and them following happily along....

Hi, I'm a newbie so take my advice for what it's worth. :)

We just use vegetable table scraps (the parts I cut off when I'm doing my chopping prep for cooking) and frozen corn niblets. They come running for that - if I give them an entire ear of corn, they're like pirrhana's (sp?).
big_smile.png
I tend to wave it and then throw it where I want them to go and then back away from the little holy terrors. I'm guessing you've tried these things but figured I'd put in my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Mine go absolutely nuts for cheese !!! Cheddar especially! But I think feeding too much can't be un-healthy since cheese is quite fatty! But I think mealworms should be the best option like "ChickensRDinos" said! All chicken love them!

Last edited:
Thanks! Mealworms! Things may have changed anyway since they got out of the pasture pretty quickly anyway, but if is definitely good to have a way to lure them, or get them where we want them to go. thanks!

mealworms. My chickens love mealworms more than anything else in the world. I can get them to go anywhere by tossing them in that direction.
I agree. My chickens come running for them. I just jiggle the container and they are there.

Back
Top Bottom