1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Treats vs. egglaying - which wins?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Puddin Fluff, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Okay, A first for me today. I was calling my flock in from free rangeing and sprinkling some treats around the run for them to enjoy. I turned around and saw an egg rolling across the ground, still wet and collecting dirt as it rolled. Aparently, one of my hens was in the laying box when she heard the treats being enjoyed and decided that was more important than that darn egg that was about to pop out![​IMG]

Anyone ever seen that before?!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Always in life animals like humans must set their priorities. [​IMG]

3. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    [​IMG]

4. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The treat wins here for most of mine. Never had an egg layed in motion though. [​IMG]

5. Kirklandchick

Kirklandchick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    Illinois
    I have a couple hens that, when they are in the coop or even the nest box about to lay, hear me come with treats, and they run out of the coop, down the ramp and beat the others to the door for treats lol. One of them did it again this morning, and a little while later I found an egg in the run, so she apparently chose treats over laying her egg in the nest where she should have lol.

6. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Well it was certainly a surprise for me! I (personally) couldn't imagine being in labor and running from the delivery room to chase the desert cart but to each their own![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by