1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Treats, what do they like?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DottieMarie, Jun 20, 2008.

1. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    I'd like to give the chicks something other than their store bought food. Can anyone give me some suggestions on what they may like and is safe for them? Their only 5 days old, is this too young to offer any "treats"?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    In nature they'd eat anything they can swallow & find - ants, bugs, gnats, etc. If you trust letting them outside (supervised), go for it. Lots of people talk about yogurt for chickens. I haven't tried it yet. Check out the "feeding time" forums, too.

Make sure they have grit. I bought grit for parakeets at the grocery store for mine. When they get bigger they'll get grown-up chicken grit.

My chicks are 3 weeks old are just dicovered their first slugs last night. They didn't like the slime but ate the guts once they figured out to disembowel the slug (I had to show them... gag). Their game of keep-away had us cracking up!

3. DottieMarie

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    OMG, you had me laughing and gagging visualizing the slug fest!
    [​IMG]

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Do a search using the keywords "treats chart"
    There is a ton of info on the forum on this subject. [​IMG]

5. DottieMarie

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    Thanks a ton. I figured there would be lots of information available but I'm still not very good on finding the stuff. This will be helpful.

Lisa

6. xanaxnation

xanaxnation Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    mine like strawberries, rasberries, pasta, ramen noodles, lettuce, shredded cheese and so far they dont like cherios but they like to make a mess with the o's.... mine are 6 weeks and i started giving treats around a week

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    plain, nonsugar yogurt
    mealworms or waxworms (if you can't find them in your yard they're available at most pet stores)
    greens
    bugs
    aforementioned yogurt mixed with crumbles
    worms (look after rains- they're everwhere. If too big just pull em apart. May sound gross but the little ones love it)
    anything they can't have [​IMG]

make sure you give them chick grit, and don't give them treats too early.

8. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for all the info here.

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Just gave my 3-week olds plain yogurt with crumbles for the first time. They GUZZLED it down! The RIR seemed like she couldn't shovel it in fast enough.

It was the quietest I've heard them - not a peep!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by