1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by doghamstyluv95, Jul 14, 2007.

1. doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    ive been feeding my chicks oats, watermelon and cheese, but i would like them to have more than that. Can anyone give me a list of the treats that i can give them? that would be very appreciated!

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Mixed fruit - banana's strawberrys... ETC but no acidic fruit, Bugs "no bees or scorpions" I also feed mine fish scales off of my salmon. Make sure there is very little salt or no salt

3. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine can't get enough yoghurt. Sometimes I add crushed garlic. Yum.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Mine get whatever comes from the garden...tomatos, cucumbers,watermelon, lettuce, cantelope...they love it all. Also, if I have an excess of eggs, I boil some and give them back to them. smashed of course, shells and all!( they dont get too many of those right now I have waiting customers) They like canned veggies as well...peas,carrotts,green beans. They love grapes, I always cut them in half. Pretty much anything...offer it...see what they like!

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I saw one of my roo's eat a small wood scorpion once, had no ill effects that I saw, and yesturday I saw one of my pullets catch and eat a yellow jacket.

What effect is it supossed to have on them?[​IMG]

6. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    We mixed cream of wheat, play sand and a little water. They love it!!!!

Also I have a bunch of rice samples. I cook a package and give it to my polish chickens. They LOVE it!!!

I have a rooster that keeps getting out and getting into my garden and he LOVES my tomatoes!!! I am getting upset with him.

They also love an ear of corn too.

It's SOOO funny to give them crickets.

jackie

7. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    They will attack you for grapes. I thaw out mixed frozed veggies for mine.

Marsha

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  8. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    I saw one of my 7-week-old Dominiques catch a wasp and run around while the others chased her. I kept thinking one would get stung. If they did, it didn't seem to bother them. The wasp lasted about 45 seconds. Several got pieces of it.

9. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    cleaning out in the garden and dug out a 6 in head of cabbage. I took it to the birds and smashed it will a shovel so they could tear it up. 11 birds ... last 15 min

10. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    One of my chickens got stung by a bee and acted weird for a few days. Kept rubbing its beak into the ground hard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by