1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Isabella F, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Isabella F

Isabella F Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2017
    Ct
    I can't find a treat that my chickens really like. Does anyone have any thing that your chickens love?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Watermelon, egg-boiled, fried or raw, corn, grains

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Chickens can eat pretty much any table scrap on moderation. Here's some different ideas to try with your flock. They're bound to like some of them. :lol:

Cooked eggs, eggshells, berries, fruits, veggies, bread, herbs and other greens, garlic, meat scraps, pasta and rice.

4. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I treat my girls to a mixed seed 20170610_142706.jpg a half cup twice a day for 5 hens. What they consume in 10 to 15 minutes. Feed too many treats will affect egg quality and quantity, I know, I doubled the amount of treats and egg production was less and shells were thinner. They have unlimited access to layers pellets and water.
    My girls also free range for 2 hours before sunset, 20170527_182849.jpg to eat grass, clover, dandelion leaves and of course insects, 3 seasons of the year, when it's not raining. GC

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  5. jeria

jeria Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2017
    Independence MO
    Newbie at this but my week old chicks are loving chopped hard boiled eggs. Only treat they have ad so far.

6. DLE140

DLE140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    Pa
    My flock loves live meal worms, scratch and watermelon. I only give them treats about once a week though

7. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Fruits, veggies, grass, weeds, berries, pumpkins, hard boiled or scrambled eggs, bread, pancakes, waffles. One day I gave them a slice of leftover bacon, that was the most fun to watch as they'd steal it from each other and run around with it.

P.S. they also love meal worms & sunflower seeds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by