Treats...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Pecky03, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Pecky03

Pecky03 Chirping

Jul 20, 2019
    Hi new to this website and new to chickens… My daughter’s kindergarten teacher decided to hatch eggs and we adopted three of them. After much research I came to the conclusion that they are Rhode Island Reds and they’ve become a beautiful addition to our family. I live in Vegas and this summer we have reached temperatures of 110°. I have the normal feed that I got from the feed store for chickens that age... I’ve already had one possibly two hens producing eggs with in the last week. I’ve gotten four eggs!! I try to give them treats now this is where the confusion comes in...I’ve read that cottage cheese was OK but then I read that dairy was no good and that corn is good but in the summer months it’s hard to digest. I’m kind of getting mixed reviews and I just want to keep them happy healthy and cool in the summer because they’re always breathing with their mouth open. I do have a lot of shade, misters and ice water all over for them. And I squirt them with the hose every other day to shower them and get some of the poop off their back feathers.... so any advice to this new chicken mom will help, thank you in advance...

trumpeting_angel and Texas Kiki like this.
  2. Peepsi

Peepsi Songster

Apr 1, 2017
    Utah
    Here is a good article on chicken treats:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...—the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens.47738/

Also....in the summer, frozen fruit is good. Frozen slices of watermelon, strawberries, grapes, etc. If they're eating frozen fruit, it cools them down from the inside. Just don't feed too much fruit, or they'll get runny poops. Same with dairy...a little is ok, but too much will cause diarrhea.

3. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    That's a good chart. Just want to add--- make sure that their actual chicken feed is at least 90% of their diet so you don't dilute the nutrition needed for egg production.

4. Peepsi

Peepsi Songster

Apr 1, 2017
    Utah
    Thank you! I forgot to mention that.

5. Pecky03

Pecky03 Chirping

Jul 20, 2019
    I always have their regular feed available off the ground so they stopped knocking it over. And I just give them the treats first thing in the morning and then some frozen treats during the hottest part of the day. So far I’ve done frozen corn but I can’t wait to try the frozen watermelon and strawberries!
    Thank you for your suggestions. I could talk about my chickens for hours.. lol I just want to make sure that I’m doing everything to make them happy and healthy. ❤️

trumpeting_angel and SueT like this.
  6. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    hello @Pecky03 ! welcome to BYC :frow
    sounds like your girls are going to have a great life...:D

trumpeting_angel and Pecky03 like this.
  7. Corys chickens

Corys chickens Chirping

Aug 26, 2018
    Florida
    Hello you should buy a tarp in any hardware store and shade the chicken s or they will die . Your state is way to not for chicken s

Pecky03 likes this.
  8. Kiki

Kiki Is your thermometer calibrated?

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I'd like to add, again, to be sure that you only offer a small amount...think one spoonful size per bird... Of treats.
    Treats = anything besides the complete balanced commercially made poultry feed.

The more treats you offer the less of a balanced diet they will get... Which will cause serious health problems down the road.

It is much easier to prevent health problems than try to fix them when they occur.

trumpeting_angel, Pecky03 and Peepsi like this.
  9. Pecky03

Pecky03 Chirping

Jul 20, 2019

10. Pecky03

Pecky03 Chirping

Jul 20, 2019
    I hv 2 big trees and a tarp with a mister... It does feel 10° cooler in there chicken habitat. The rest of the yard is scorching. I also throw frozen water bottles in there that only last a few hours but it does reduce the heat .

trumpeting_angel likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: