Treats??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by btrent94, Apr 23, 2009.

1. btrent94

btrent94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Glendale, AZ
    What are some treats i can give my babys .. plz not too messy

2. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    i would say yogert but thats kinda messy..... spegetti?

3. rachaelc

rachaelc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Newberg
    How old are your bebehs?
    I have been feeding mine some organic mixed greens torn up and plain old grass from my yard( no fertilizer etc). You want to make sure they have some chick grit when they start to eat different things. I have also given cooked broccoli( big fav) canned corn and apple and cuke bits. My chicks were about 2 weeks I'd guess.They will even go for little earthworms. I treat them once or twice a day. It has been warm enough in Oregon a few days ago that they could go out in a little pen for a few hours a day. I just watch to make sure they aren't too cold or hot with some shade always available and water. Hope this helps.

Rachael C- mother of all

4. rachaelc

rachaelc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Newberg
    Oh YEAH! Little spaghetti noodles are fun! Chicken Riots!!

5. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    How old are your babies? Ours are 10 days old today. We introduced them to ground oatmeal at about 6 days, and a little grit and some really small crickets today. So far they've enjoyed both very much and are TERRIFIED of grapes?? [​IMG] As for yogurt, they'll toy with it some IF I dip my fingers in it then in their starter food. Don't ask why because I don't have a clue? I know spoiled and LOVING every minute of it... [​IMG] Their grit by the way I bought at the feed store then brought it home and sifted it again as not to give them any pieces to large.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I gave some half grapes to my 8 week olds today... The LOVE me.

7. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    yeah i even cut the grapes in quarters. these are the same jurastic park chicks that stalked and hunted AND killed an flying little thing in their brooder just a few days ago. the grape thing was a real crack up...

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

someone posted on the feeding forum, and I tried it, that putting water in some of their starter they think it's a treat! Mine sure did!

Make it up water + starter in a consistency similar to oatmeal or a little drier.

9. btrent94

btrent94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Glendale, AZ
    Well they are only 2 weeks but these sound like some pretty good ideas ... im gonnna have to try it out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by