Treats

MPLSHens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
Hi! I have a week and a half old chicks, and I was wondering what kind of treats to give them?

I gave them some bread last night, and they loved it! One would pick up a piece and run around screaming, and the others would drop theirs and follow!

I have seen that people use yogurt, do you mix it with anything, and just regular plain yogurt?

Oh and
welcome-byc.gif

I waited until my chicks were 3 wks old and then I gave them things that seemed healthier for them. Meaning things with protein, rather then all starch.

I gave grit free choice first, so they could digest the snacks. First snack was meal worms. LOVED them and LOVED me for giving them the worms. They started flying up on my hands, arm, edge of brooder.

I then made scrambled eggs and chopped up real fine so they were the size of the meal worms. LOVED that just as much.

I only introduced snacks one time a week in the beginning because I wanted them to eat their starter food as primary source.

I dug up clumps of sod that had dirt attached. The first day they didn't want to get close to it. Next day it was almost gone.

Yogurt - OM GOSH they loved it with some starter sprinkles on top.

Now at 11 weeks they love love love cherries and a half of a tangerine.

Or Carrots
or cabbage

a cricket or two

wormy worms

Caroline Jax FL

Whenever I cut watermelon I leave the rind out there (with some red on it of course) they love it! They eat it until it is white!

Back
Top Bottom