treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sethsleader, Sep 14, 2009.

1. sethsleader

sethsleader Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    When can I give my babies trreats? And what would be suitable for them?

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I've given treats as soon as they are fully feathered. I usually start with yogurt then add grapes, stawberries and cherry tomatos.

Good luck and have fun!!

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    I waited until mine were 3 wks old and started with grit free choice and a couple meal worms each.

They LOVED them and LOVED me for giving them. That's when they started flying out of the brooder when I opened the top. They'd fly on my hands, arms, lap, back if I was bending over the brooder.

I then made scrambled eggs and chopped/stirred up so the pieces were the same size as meal worms. LOVED that just as much.

I then put in clumps of sod. They didn't know what to do the first day but the next day after work, it was just dirt that was left.

I never did the plain yogert or cooked oatmeal that some do. I tried to stick to things they would get from mom if they were out free. (Although, mom wouldn't have cooked up some eggs. I just thought the balance of protein, fats and carbs was good).

4. Judy

Judy Crowing Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Opinions on this vary from a few days to a few months of age. I've never seen anything scientific on the subject. It is usually recommended that treats be no more than 10% of their diet, if that.

5. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    I waited until they were about 4 weeks with my first group. The last group were about 2 1/2 weeks. I didn't go overboard with the treats. They both did good. [​IMG] Good luck.

6. AmyBella

AmyBella Songster

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    People disagree about the best age to start offering treats. Personally, I started giving little treats the first week. I offered hard boiled egg yolk, and a little yogurt mixed with their mash. Bugs were a big hit a week or two later! It is hysterical to see the chicks playing "tug-o-war" and "keep away" with a worm! They used to go nuts over wood-lice. I think having live food at such a young age made these chicks good hunters!

I also put a piece of sod into the booder. They have such a good time exploring it and having a little dirt bath!

Their tastes change over time, too. They may turn their nose up at something today only to gobble it up in a month!

7. sethsleader

sethsleader Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    A I dont feel too bad then because I Ive caught my little lad feeding them a meal worm and then a bit of i chocolate cake so we've had a chat!

Bless him he's only 2 and he though he was sharing! [​IMG]

8. AmyBella

AmyBella Songster

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    How sweet of him to share! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by