Treats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Leah and peeps, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Hi everyone,

So i just got 10 chicks last week and they are now 4 days old. What treats would they be allowed to eat at this age?
    Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

Leah

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats on your chicks. Try some chopped hard boiled egg or some plain yogurt, but be warned yogurt is messy.

Don't be discouraged if your chicks are afraid of treats at first. Chickens are naturally afraid of new things in their enviroment. Just leave it in with them for awhile. They'll get the idea. [​IMG]

ETA: I just re-read your post. I would wait until they are about a full week old for treats and always remember to give treats in small amounts. They need the complete nutrition of their chick starter first and foremost.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  3. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks! At what age can they eat live crickets? .... i hear its amusing to watch [​IMG] lol

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    At about a week old or so, though keep in mind that if mama was raising them she'd have them on treats and bugs from a few days old.
    Also, keep in mind that once they start eating things like bugs they are going to need a source of grit. If they aren't on the ground to get their own you'll need to supply it. PLAIN parakeet grit of the type sold at walmart works well for a chick grit.

5. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    I am going to the pet store tom. to get them some crickets, and i have BUDGIE GRAVEL WITH OYSTER SHELLS AND FLACKED CHARCOAL. Thats all the store had. Can they use this? How should i give them the grit/gravel? I was going to feed them the crickets in their brooder so should i just put some in a small container or sprinkle it on their shavings? Sugestions ( about anything)? Thanks [​IMG]

6. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    [​IMG] Anyone? Im going tom.

7. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I do not give mine oyster shell until they start laying. Too much calcium is not good and mine probably get their fair share through leafy green garden veggies.
    Hopefully someone with more experience can let you know more about the oyster shell as if it is mixed in the grit there might not actully be a large enough concentration to worry about...
    My little guys get a bit of playtime in the garden and yard so pick at dirt there. I also toss a little playground sand in the brooder as well as clumps of small plants with roots/dirt attatched as they like to peck and scratch. It works fine as grit for little ones.

8. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I tried egg at 4 days and they all voted no. I tried it again today and they all looked at the dish like it was filled with poison. The phone rang, and I left it in the brooder. I heard lots of excited cheeping and went out to check on them, and they were attacking the egg with relish. I suppose it was just new to them. In any case, the 7 of them ate 3/4 of a boiled, chopped egg by the time they got done with it, and then they all face-planted for naps.

9. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Just noticed yours are 4 days...probably sticking with chick starter for longer would be the best bet IMHO. [​IMG]

10. DigitalEd

DigitalEd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Upstate SC
    We did a cricket after the first few days. They tore it to pieces and did dug of wars over the parts. We had parakeet (sp?) grit in there already from the pet store. DW insisted on trying scrambled egg in the frist week. They didn't touch it.

----- Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by