treats

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Hillsvale, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    So I am looking for treats for my African Grey geese (and turkeys who think they are geese)

Nothing thus far has tempted them except the meatie pellets!.... what treats do you give your geese?

2. crazy goose lover

crazy goose lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Athens Illinois
    mine are loving peas anf tomatoes out of the garden right now. Also most love dry cat food.

3. smileysal

smileysal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Apples, melon, fish, bread (not too much), dandelions

4. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    Quote:I have weird geese; they wont have any of it. They love to eat scratch grain out of my hand but I’ve tired watermelon, apple, grapes, pees, kitty treats, and fresh spinach leaves. They eat the spinach if I throw it on the ground and leave it. They nibble at it. They won’t touch the melon, apple and etc. The scratch grain is the only thing I’ve fond they like enough to consider as a treat.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  5. Hillsvale

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    Quote:I have weird geese; they wont have any of it. They love to eat scratch grain out of my hand but I’ve tired watermelon, apple, grapes, pees, kitty treats, and fresh spinach leaves. They eat the spinach if I throw it on the ground and leave it. They nibble at it. They won’t touch the melon, apple and etc. The scratch grain is the only thing I’ve fond they like enough to consider as a treat.

hummm... guess mine are weird too, they will go nuts if you leave a bucket of broiler pellets available to nibble but nothing else interests them!!

6. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana

hummm... guess mine are weird too, they will go nuts if you leave a bucket of broiler pellets available to nibble but nothing else interests them!!

What are broiler pellets? Haven't heard of them.

7. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    My geese really like bread and they like lettuce!

8. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    My geese have all liked dandelions, but they loved a weed called sow thistle (Sonchus). My present goose chirps happily or excitedly - depending on the size - whenever he finds one of those.

But the real treat is dry cat food. I just had my parents over, and the goose was a little apprehensive about my dad, keeping his distance. That totally changed when my dad offered him a few pieces of the cat food. Soon the goose was right next to him, watching him carefully for any sign of the treats. When my dad was out of treats, the goose started pulling his sleeve. He finally gave up but settled down under the table in front of my dad's feet.

9. Hillsvale

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    Quote:hummm... guess mine are weird too, they will go nuts if you leave a bucket of broiler pellets available to nibble but nothing else interests them!!

What are broiler pellets? Haven't heard of them.

they are the pellets my feed store makes for meat birds... broiler grower pellets.

Quote:tried that too... they were not influenced! lol

10. floridaquilter

floridaquilter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Crescent City, FL
    I was unaware that geese liked dry catfood! I grabbed a handfull and out the door I ran! WoW...they loved it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by