treats

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by someplumbcoop, Nov 11, 2010.

1. someplumbcoop

someplumbcoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    North Carolina
    Hi i was wondering how often i should give my chickens treats. I have been giving them some of our leftovers a couple times a week. Should i be giving them more treats? or less?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's more how much than how often. It is recommended on here that treats not be more than 10% of their diet.

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I think it also has a lot to do with what type of treats you feed! I feed a premium bird seed (16% protien),dried meal worms, fresh greens and veggies that are in season (tomatoes,squash, pumpkin, etc). In the winter they get a 5gal bucket of fresh greens every day stuffed into their large suet cages, a can full of bird seed to scratch for.. And they get a handful of dried meal worms every day --placed under a basket of dried leaves.. I try to feed treats that they would find if they were free ranging all day..seeds, bugs, sprouts,greens etc. I like to make them 'work' for it a little. Like hanging the greens (cage) a little higher, putting the worms and birdseed under grass/leaves or mixed in their shavings. I am cutting holes in their pumpkins and let them work to get the seeds and goodies...

Most of my table leftovers go to our large dogs..

There is a great list of good treats on here somewhere.. Do a search and see if you can find it..

4. someplumbcoop

someplumbcoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    North Carolina
    Wow! your flock gets some good eats! Thanks for the suggestions. We'll try a few more. We have 6 Australorps about 8 weeks old. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by