Treats?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MicroFarmMom, Feb 6, 2011.

1. MicroFarmMom

MicroFarmMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    Is there anything I can give them once or twice a week as a treat? What foods are definate no'nos?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Freah Grass Pulled Out Of The Yard, Fruit To Peck On, Even A Few Greens, But The Best Treat Is Gamebird Starter... And Lots Of It, Everyday [​IMG]

Fresh Raw Pumpkin Is A Wonderful Treat And A Natural Dewormer. They Love Meal Worms, But Do Not Give Mealies To Very Young As It May Teach Them To Attack Each Others Feet.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    My buttons enjoy grass ( when we had it anyway [​IMG] ), Parakeet food was a big favorite as well. Never really tryed anything else.

4. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Lettuce, Celery, Lettuce, Carrots, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Cucumbers, Lettuce, Lettuce, Lettuce........... [​IMG]

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:I'm guessing yours like Lettuce? [​IMG]

6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    "Treats" is a very tricky term. It literally means "Food that humans give animals to make humans feel good about themselves". Just because an animal goes crazy over, and eats a bunch of anything...doesn't mean it is good for them!

I'm with JJ...Good GBS 24/7 is the best treat of all!

Pumpkin,gourds,winter,summer squash are all very nutritious!
    Greens...anything in the brassicas species are very nutritious as well. A penny's worth of kale will substitute a nickels worth of oyster shell, but that's another story.
    Fruits...most anything but avocados.

Lettuce...particularly Ice burgh lettuce, is pure evil!

Avoid white/wheat breads/overly processed grains because they are pure evil as well! They are not even fit for human consumption.

Meal worms....If you have them, then feed them...To adult birds as JJ points out. Just from an accounting standpoint, they are hands down the most expensive protein supplement on the face of the planet, other than kitten food!
    Unless you are raising geckos, which need live food. Meal worms are good for them!

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Frozen peas thawed out in some warm water. My quail go NUTS over them. So do my ducks. I have been giving them to my ducks for years and on a whim gave a few to the quail to see if they would eat them. Now they line up in front of the pen door when they see me with the ducks veggie bucket because they want their share! [​IMG]

8. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Frozen peas + birds =fine

I really want to see a coturnix eat a carrot! I would pay good money to see that!

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I put a couple of end pieces in their pen once to see if they would eat any. NOPE! My ducks hate carrots too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by