Treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thehbcrew, Jun 11, 2011.

1. thehbcrew

thehbcrew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    So i haven't given any treats yet for my chicks, there about 6 weeks old now and living out in there coop, the BR always peck at me i figure if i start giving them some treats maybe they will easy up on me... What work best in your opinions?

Also they don't seem to be care about being in the rain, is that a problem? i assume they might be getting some worms out of the deal.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Dried mealworms--dandelions--oats--"pill" bugs... bananas..hang head of cabbage in coop--at that age almost anything in your backyard is fair game as long as there is no pesticides been sprayed on it...

3. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Their new favorite - watermelon!! I read here (somewhere) to freeze it, dice it up a bit, and let the girls have at it! They LOVE it! [​IMG] Word of warning - let it thaw a bit before you try to dice it! [​IMG] That was a self-critiquing experience! It does warm up quickly, however.

Mark

[​IMG]

4. thehbcrew

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    i did see someone say frozen melons, i was just curious based on the age if i should be doing that, im trying not to do the worm thing just because i think its ridiculously over priced. And they are getting enough earth critters in their run.

5. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    As long as they are clean (no pesticides, etc.) they are not a problem.

BTW, have you seen the Chicken Treats chart available here on BYC? This should help. Oh, you aren't kidding on the dog-gone price of those mealworms! Cost more than a 20# bag of feed at my local TSC!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Mark

6. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    grapes

7. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    by the way--people talk about yogart (plain, sugar free)--my girls won't touch the stuff..but as with any list...they are like kids try it--if it doesn't work now try again in few weeks they will probably scarf it up and fight over it then..also I heard someone say frozen spinach is good to try (especially during this hot time of year for them--just like the watermellon and cantelope--like other poster said) LOL:thumbsup

8. thehbcrew

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    thanks for the link, got some good ideas

9. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I just gave my girlies (age 9 - 11 weeks old) watermelon and cantelope this week. I didn't chop it up tho. I froze it over night and then just put the rinds out in their run for a while. They loved it! I took up the rinds when they were finished with them so I didn't have ants & flies all over the place. Very good treats! I actually had to throw some oats on top of them to get them to peck at it and see what it was...but once they realized it was good they went nuts over it!

10. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Mine are about 7 weeks and did not get any treats afor the first 5 weeks. Well now they love Watermelon, Strawberries, Corn on the cob, Cantelope, Cucumbers and almost anything green. It is a slow process so just go slow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by