TREATS!!!!

I waited for 30 days because that was what I was told to do with new chicks....but when Gracie raised her own I was shocked the first time I saw a day old chick swallow a whole sunflower seed....it was three time the size of their beak....I was trying to give mom treats...but she wouldn't eat yet and was all about feeding the littles....after that...and talking to a few friends I realised I didn't know anything...and that they knew what was right...what they eat is what they need.....besides if their treat is ragweed and grass growing in the wrong places...GO CHICKENS!!!!! I might lose the occasional tomato...or strawberry but they save an exponential amount of food for me

i started giving mine hardboiled egg finely minced. I just threw the whole egg shell and all into my bullet blender and ground it up. THe 1st chick grabbed a bite and 13 started chasing it. Only dumdum stood there behaving like it usual self."huh what why???"

i was wondering too.
i went out and i bought five pounds of scratch and i finally put some in my 5 day old chicks' brooder and they didnt even look at it!
they have been enjoying peaking at the paper towel at the bottem of the brooder, i was wondering if its ok for them to eat that.

I tried giving my girls yogurt, oatmeal and apple sauce....They seemed frightened of it all.
lol.png
I also have given them some cheerios but they don't show much interest in that either.

I would not give them scratch at all...according to MissPrisssy, it is not a good thing for them. However, I was giving my a hard boiled egg mashed up at a week old.

They need grit when they start eating greens and grain stuf. At three weeks old, mine were getting cooked oatmeal, baked yams, boiled rice, steamed broccoli, lettuce and such...I just give them chick grit a little a day to make sure they can digest the food they are eating.

The first thing I could try with the young ones is a boiled egg mashed up or applesauce mixed into some starter feed.

If you go to the learning center link at the top of the page you can find a treat list.
big_smile.png

I gave mine a treat for the first time today. Some apple and rolled oats. WELLLLL, by their reaction, you would have thought I had put a rattlesnake in their pen. They were scared of it...so I pretended to eat it and then they were ok. I swear, if my grandma could see me now...yes I'm a chicken-mama!

minced up hard boiled egg is great.its good for them and the yeoow color really gets them eating good.i sprinkle it on top of some of the starter mash...crickets from the bait store are great after they get a little older.they will crawl in your lap for a juicy cricket.

Back
Top Bottom