1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

~ Treats ~

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Foster Reds, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Foster Reds

Foster Reds Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    Freedom, California
    My RIR are lovin there morning Breakfast treats apples and bananas along with cherrios.. Any other suggetsions I can try?? Thanks a bunch !! F.R.

2. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Pumpkins are free along the road this time of year.

Your chickens will eat almost anything and enjoy it. I've seen mine even pick sandburs off my pant legs and boot laces.

They go goofy for field corn still on the cob. Shell a couple rows and let them pick the cob. Keeps em entertained for awhile. Old bread is a big hit too.

3. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Won't let me edit that one. One of their favorites is a big bushy ball of ragweed full of seeds.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Try shredded cheese!

5. Foster Reds

Foster Reds Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    Freedom, California
    Hey Thanks Ill try the chesse .. Have tried any flovor??

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    rice, spaghetti, raisins, grapes, melons, salad, broccoli, cheese, hard boiled eggs, yogurt.

Treats are an acquired taste at times. You need to introduce it again or a different way. Examples I tried banana they did not like it but I had a rotten mushy one and the devoured it go figure. Treats are not food or nutritional most of the time. Treat is a treat and I try not to put more down than they can eat up in a few minutes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by