treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jeremy frenz, May 21, 2007.

1. jeremy frenz

jeremy frenz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    portland OR
    i have three 6 day old chicks and i want to give them treats but should i?[​IMG]

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I've been giving my chicks (3 weeks old now) hard boiled egg yolks, in moderation since they were about a week old. If you give them any more treats you need to make sure they have grit. I have 24 chicks so I gave them about 4 yolks every three days or so. They're mad at me now though because they haven't had any in about 5-6 days.[​IMG] I'm waiting until they are older before I give them anything else.

3. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    I'd like to take my 1 week olds out on the grass in the yard--never any chemicals on it--that should be okay, right? I'm just thinking that if they were following their mama around, they'd be on the grass days ago, but then again I'm not a mama hen and I don't want to hurt them...

4. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    They are fine outside as long as they can handel the tempreture. The chicks can eat grass, they especially love clover!!!!

5. nuchickmama

nuchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Rock Island, TN
    I took mine out of the brooder on warm days in a penned area once a week starting at 3 weeks old. They loved it. However, I did provide them shade and water and feed.

6. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    When my chicks were little I used to make them a little dish of oatmeal sometimes in the evening. Just oatmeal and water, no salt, milk, or sugar. I fed it to them with my hand, and they loved it. It felt really nasty though!

7. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    I usually just when outside and picked clover to feed to them..I hand fed them at that age instead of letting them outside so that i could get them used to eating out of my hand. They love the Ball Clover, most ball clover here in Oklahoma has already started flowering..It will be Clovers with little white v's on them and a big ball of flowers that are a pinkish white. It think some people call them arrowleafs?

and for grit i just threw some dirt in there brooder.They Will love billing around in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by