Treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by redneck farmer, Feb 10, 2013.

1. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

In my chicken cage I have 5 chicks about 11 days old. In side there is a lot a veggies for them to eat. Are veggies considered treats?
    Are veggies healthy for my chickens?
    ( I have broccoli in there an carrots ( cut up in tiny pices) an carrot leaves hanging from the top) ( I think that's cool cause they like to run around in the vines) --- pic
    [​IMG]
    Black chicken to the far left is eating broccoli. The two black ones in the bottom right are eating carrot leaves an cut up carrots.
    The black one in the middle is thinking about eatin the hanging carrot leaves an the yellow one in the back is eating chick starter.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Hi. Yes, vegies are healthy for your chickens, and what's more the chickens love them! Broccoli is also a favourite with our chooks.

3. redneck farmer

Is it ok to have veggies available to them 24/7 or should I just take wait till there all gone then wait a couple days then give more or just a constant supply of veggies!?

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I like to keep them as treats - given randomly. The nutrition they get from their feed is what is needed and veggie treat should supplement that.

5. redneck farmer

I use fruits for that

6. redneck farmer

More carrots leaves!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

7. sushicat2000

sushicat2000 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    If you are not already, give them some chick grit to help digest all those veggies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by