Treats?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kada6305, Mar 22, 2013.

1. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    I have 5 ducklings, 3 mallards ( 2 weeks tomorrow) and 3 khakis ( 3 weeks Monday) and I was wondering about using fruit as treats? I have pineapple, mango, raspberries and strawberries. If I would cut these up could I feed them to my ducks?

2. melissamerry

melissamerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    There's a wonderful sticky note above that has a list of treats on it.

I think you might want to watch out on the mango. It may cause problems with the ducks.
    I like to limit the fruit treats because I'm afraid of mine having too much sugar. Plus, mine favor veggies over the fruits anyways.

I often hear that peas are a favorite. Mine hate them. They like romaine, tomatoes, watermelon and bell peppers.

I have a feeling that mine favor tomatoes above all else because that was the first treat they tried. I wonder if I would have gave them peas first then they would be normal pea loving ducks!

3. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    Yeah I checked the sticky note but didn't see anything about fruit. Ill try them on strawberries tomorrow and see :) I don't think they are old enough for the peas.

4. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
  5. RedNeckChick1

RedNeckChick1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    My duck loves to eat bread, cat food (I have no idea why lol), watermelon any thing soft mushy and stuff with seeds that's all I know :) lol

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My runners love peas, which are the first treat they ate. They don't seem to like anything red. I remarked to myself it may have been better to provide a wider variety of treats when they were little.

The Buffs were less thrilled with peas, at least now they will eat them. The Coffees love autumn olive fruit. But I don't have any of those around hear and they are not sold commercially.

7. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    Well we tried strawberries,watermelon and romaine. They loved all of it! Will be doing peas hater on today :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by