Treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenniebean123, Aug 15, 2013.

1. jenniebean123

jenniebean123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    What kind of treats do chickens like im new to this right now i have two 6-7 week ild silkies and getting some two week old black copper marans

2. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    bird seed / baby grass and earthworms/nightcrawlers.
    are some of my chickens favs.

3. jenniebean123

Aug 7, 2013
    I tired a worm they had no idea what to do with it i take them out side often but i dont think they know what to do with bugs im not sure what to do about that i dont have any old birda to show them lol

4. naightengale

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    silkies are a bit funny about it my silkies even the peeps love wild bird seed thou try some of that. maybe when there older bugs and grass will interest them more my hens love it.

5. jenniebean123

Aug 7, 2013
    If i feed them seed do i need grit?

6. naightengale

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    ??? i dont bother with grit ever as mine have access to the ground. if they are ever on dirt they will get there grit.

7. jenniebean123

Aug 7, 2013
    Oh ok i take mine out almost ever day to let them get excerise and used to things plus tey just like it and we havent finished the coop and cant go free range due to hawks and coyotes every day and night ugh im really new to owning more than one chicken

8. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I always offer grit free choice because I can monitor it and know for sure that they are getting what they need. It's really not that expensive for how long it lasts, better safe than sorry IMO.

Don't be surprised if you have to offer different foods multiple times before they "get it". Since they aren't watching their mama and learning from her they will have to do it on their own. It took mine a very long time before they would be a bug. The first treats I offered where scrambled eggs and shredded cheese, they loved it and it's still one of their favorite treats. They wouldn't touch yogurt, bananas or mango. They like frozen blueberries over fresh blueberries [​IMG]

Try any of these, your flock will let you know what they like and don't like:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

9. jenniebean123

Aug 7, 2013
    Thanks alot i think i will try eggs first i heard alot about chicks liking them i was thinking it was weird like humane eating humane but theyre not fertile or anything so i realize its not lol

10. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    My chickens love yogurt, watermelon, berries, spaghetti, and most anything I toss to them.

Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by