treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AtRendeAcres, Jun 13, 2007.

1. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    what kidn of treats can you give chickens?

mine are 4 and 2 weeks old!

2. New chicken family

New chicken family Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2007
    Madison WI
    Ours love plain yogurt with chicken feed on top!!!!
    Strawberries are another favorite.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Just make sure when you start offering them treats...you offer them some sort of grit. Play sand in a small pan works great. This is what I offered mine at that age, in VERY small amounts, and only once or twice a week.

Diced tomato
    Diced grass clippings
    Meal worms ( they LOVE them)
    canned peas
    cooked carrots

Just remember...not too much, or they will not eat thier feed, and they need that for the vitamins and such.

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    sounds Great thanks for the ideas [​IMG]

5. Jezebelle

Jezebelle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    millet is good for treats..but not too much, chicks will over eat and become so fat they cant walk, and still keep eating. I have experienced this first hand. Boiled eggs are always wonderful to give the little ones

6. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    Mine love hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, canned corn, and even lettuce. I give them very small amounts.

Actually the canned corn was an accident. I was eating dinner outside on the picnic table and the chicks were in the yard. I dropped some corn and it fell on the ground. I picked it up and was attacked by one of the chicks grabbing the corn! So, I offered more and they all fought for it.

I believe the key is very little and make sure they have grit. I use parakeet grit from Walmart. I was surprised at how fast they scarf up the grit......

7. momma-hen

momma-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2007
    Connecticut
    My babies were about 4 weeks old (last fall) when I came upon a roadside stand selling the remnants of their sweet corn harvest. The guy gave me four dozen ears for $5. The chicks LOVED ripping the corn off those cobs [​IMG] 15 chicks shared 4-5 ears a day and they would have gladly eaten more.

8. aimee

aimee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Lake WaConDa, NE
    Mine go crazy for grapes, they go after them like they haven't seen food in weeks. It's pretty funny to watch.

I still quarter them though I'm sure they could tear them apart on their own (they're 9-13 weeks old).

9. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Tonight I had some left over spaghetti noodles and boy did they go crazy over the noodles. It was quite a sight, seeing the hens running around the yard with spaghetti noodles hanging out of their beaks. Invariably, they would step on the noodle and lose it all except the small piece in their beaks. The others would pounce on the broken piece and the whole process repeated itself.

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Somebody somewhere said boiled potatoes.......so today i gave it a try. Well the ribbon so far goes to potatoes in my coop. My potatoes dont look like worms.........but my chickybabies sure treated them like a pan of worms. There was a little fighting over them, but i made plenty so it was not long before they realized that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by