1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by silvertitan, Sep 29, 2014.

1. silvertitan

silvertitan New Egg

Sep 21, 2014
    My chicks are only 10 days old and are very active! I am wondering when I can begin to give them treats and what qualifies as a treat?

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    This link will take you to a chart I've referred to several times. It shows which treats are ok for chickens and what you should avoid. As to when to start giving them, I didn't start until they were a couple months old but I'm not sure you couldn't begin sooner as long as they continue to eat their feed well. Sure don't want to replace their healthy diet with "candy" (which is sort of what treats are).

Hope this link helps!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Treats are anything other than there regular poultry feed..

As for when to start feeding treats, everyone has there own idea but your best not to feed treats until the around half grown.

4. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    I would agree to wait - you don't want them to limit their feeding regiment to only treats and miss the critical vitamins in the growth feed. I have old ladies right now who I adore but I also see when I am starting to feed too many treats and they begin to limit eating the layers. But they are just so cute when they beg [​IMG]

5. iPeanut1990

iPeanut1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Mine get treats a few days a week. They are 19 weeks now. They didn't start to be super interested in treats until they were around 12 weeks old. Now we have to watch our fingers!

6. red ravens

red ravens New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    Thumb of Michigan
    Hi, Just keep in mind, no matter what age they start eating treats, they need to have grit to eat. good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by